Saturday, January 28, 2012

Andrew's update

Andrew had tried the ACTH injections again for his ever increasing seizures. This time it did not work. His seizures got worse not better. While he was on the ACTH we tried to get him off the Felbamate. As a result his seizures were so bad that they really concered both Allen and I . Anderew ende up with an emergency EEG. The results indicated what we were seeing. He was tapered off the ACTH and back up on the Felbamate. I met with Andrew's Neurologist and we discussed his seizures and med we have tried and options we have. After much conversation we decided to go ahead with Vigabtrin (Sabril) The sideeffects of this med are pretty severe......but then so are his seizures. So we started the Sabril. He then started the taper off the Felbamate again. The school called several times to say that Andrew;'s seizures were getting worse...ah duh!! I explained that to you many times but it didn't keep them from calling to try and send him home. We had meetings last fall to establish a sezure careplan and Andrew's PCP met with the school and we still get more calls then we should stating he is "having a hard day" Well you know...everyday he has a sezure is a hard day for him! I am happy to say that he is all the way off the Felbamate with no worsening of the seizures. Now we can see the true effectivness of the Sabril. I had a substitute nurse call me last week to say that maybe it wasn't apprpriate for Andrew to be at school if he was going to " be like this. Yep. that raised my hackles. If they have the issues and are uncomforatble with his seizures then they can hire a nurse to sit with him while he is at school.

Carina and Andrew's bond continues to get stronger and stronger. She is doing very well with her pre alerting. The school and school board continue to resist Carina being there. Now that she is there they have decided she is difficult to contrrol and needs her own handler and we need to find and hire the person ourselves as well as pay this person. Thanks to the DEiabilty Right Center I am fighting there decision. Somehow this will all work out and Andrew and Carina WILL remain together. We worked to hard for this not to.

Alex is Andrew's new baby brother and finds him very interesting. Alex will mimick the noises Andrew makes. Jessica thinks the world of both her brothers. She says that Andrew is her favorite brother with seizures and Alex is her favorite brother with out seizures. Having 3 kids is the best things I could have ever done! Although I am very busy I would not change it for anything!

My Dad is not doing well and I worry for him. He is a fighter and I know that he will make it over this bump as well. Mom does a very good job taking care of him. So I ask that if you are reading this please pray for my Dad's health and for my Mom to continue her great job!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Jamie, my heart just bleeds for you and the obstacles that continue to be placed in your path! But like your dad (who takes a licking & keeps on ticking), you meet each of them with determination and greater success than anyone I know. My prayers are always with you & Allen, the kids, and your follks. Love from Ohio, Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete