Tuesday, March 30, 2010

What were you thinking?!?

What was I thinking?? That was what was going through my head at 9:00 A.M. Monday morning. Andrew was going in for the placement of his feeding tube. I carried him down to the surgical suite, and watched as my precious baby boy drifted off to sleep when they placed the mask over his face. There was no fight, no complaints, just Andrew's little tongue licking the mask as he drifted off to sleep. I kissed him and told him I would see him soon and left to go to the waiting area. Allen and I were there together, waiting with increasing anxiousness for his return. Twenty minutes later the doctor came to tell us that all had gone well. His tube was placed successfully and we could go in to see him. He was just waking up and was coughing and choking on his own saliva. As my heart was breaking, the nurse in me wanted to yell, "Suction him NOW!" I didn't need to say anything, they did exactly what they were supposed to do and soon Andrew stopped coughing and could breathe. He sat on that big bed and looked like a little drunken sailor. He needed a lot of help just to sit up. As I sat in the rocking chair and rocked him, he continued to sleep. When he finally woke up we were able to go to the room where he would spend the night. It was after 2 P.M. by the time he was able to eat and use the feeding tube. His feedings went well and he had no problems. He was, however, a very uncomfortable little boy. He slept a lot and got Tylenol every 4 hours. I stayed with Andrew and Allen went home for the night. Andrew was awake a lot during the night; at least once every hour! Promptly at 7 A.M. his doctor came in to see him and that was the start of a very busy day of training for the feeding tube. They knew I was a nurse and still the training took all day! Now he is finally home and Jessica was so excited to see him. A big kiss and a small hug because she knew his belly was sore. She then told me, " Mom be careful of that tube.If you pull it, it could hurt Andrew." Wow, a nurse in the making! Keep Andrew in your thoughts and prayers and we will do our best to keep everyone updated.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica is going to be a great sister! She already is! she loves Andrew so much and will do anything to make sure that he is okay! I am very thankful to have met such a great family like you all, and I hope everything with Andrew continues to get better!
    -Dianah

    ReplyDelete