Saturday, April 24, 2010

Each sunrise brings a new ray of hope

My Dad recently went through very extensive heart surgery. He had a double bypass, aortic valve replacement and tricuspid repair. I was there with Andrew. We sat with my Mom and my brother as we waited anxiously for the report that he was out of surgery. It was totally awesome to watch Erik bond with Andrew during the few days I got to see him. As we waited for my Dad, Andrew decided to make the most of it. He began walking around the waiting room. He didn't hold on to anything and he would squeal when he reached "his" destination. My Dad made it through just fine. When it was my turn to see him in the CVICU, I wasn't prepared for what I was going to see. I am a nurse, so I see this stuff all the time. That is what I told myself. The reality was far different!! Seeing my Dad on the ventilator and all the tubes and IV lines everywhere was scary! I talked to him and held his hand, although he was asleep I knew he was strong and was going to make it. He progressed well and made it to the cardiac unit. He walked talked and even laughed. I visited with him during the day and with my Mom at night. I had some wonderful mother-daughter time that we both needed. Of course some of it included eating and retail therapy (shopping!!). It was on Thursday night that I found out the doctors were sending him home early to prevent infection, and Andrew and I couldn't be there. It was a very hard decision to make, but we went home Friday morning. My Dad came home late Friday. He was progressing well, but somewhere along the way he stopped and actually started to decline. So, he was readmitted to the hospital. As I await any news from my Mom, I hope and pray all goes well for my Dad. Andrew continues to progress and much to Allen's surprise he is walking everywhere! From the couch in the living room to the door in the kitchen. He is noticing more things and he seems stronger. He has days when he eats very well. and on the days he doesn't he now has the feeding tube to ease my worry about him not eating enough. He does have some hypergranulation tissue around the tube opening. We are treating it and it looks better everyday. So as Andrew continues to progress I ask everyone to hope for a speedy and healthy recovery for my Dad. We are hoping to go see my Mom and Dad in the fall. I can't wait to see how much Andrew will change by then. I Love you Mom and Dad!!
Sleeping in grandpa's hospital bed.
Sitting with mom.
Still with mom.

1 comment:

  1. We love you,too, Jamie! You were a big help while you were here, and it was GREAT getting to see Andrew!

    ReplyDelete